Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blogging Prompt #3: Reflection of Sontag

I will admit, that it was confusing at first reading this article, however, after Thursday's class, I have a better understanding. I liked and understood why Sontag used cancer and TB to explain the use of such diseases as a metaphor. She brings up a good point that "there is nothing shameful about a heart attack." This point that both heart disease and cancer may result in the same situation, death, one is viewed differently from the other.
As I said in class, I liked the war metaphors because they stuck out to me. War type games have always been fun for me (you know, Risk, Battleship, the card game War!). The idea of fighting the disease like fighting an enemy is appealing. Sontag's use of war metaphors to explain their usage showed me how people have viewed diseases throughout history.

2 comments:

  1. as you know i didnt read this before class, but after class i was also able to pick up on certain things brought up in discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the war metaphors were something very tangible that we could really understand.

    ReplyDelete